Cutting The Cord Each Summer!


Written a few years ago!



This summer we unplugged.  Well, sort of.  We decided to turn the Internet off until my husband needed it again to prepare for teaching.  I think it was off for a total of three months.  I had Internet on my phone which kept us somewhat able to text or FB message friends and family, and we also have a T.V. that has a VCR. So while the children did watch movies they were a select few (for better or worse, I now hate I Love Lucy which used to be my favorite!) and there was no live streaming, Khan Academy or even funny YouTube clips. 

I had the urge to cut the Internet cord to help improve my children's attitudes towards one another.  There was quite a bit of squabbling going on and I just had a hunch that a low entertainment summer would help a great deal and do you know what? It did! Oh no, not instantly.  We were actually all going through withdrawal.  In fact Will and I were really bummed we couldn't watch a movie in the evening once the children were all down.  I was upset because instead of us having a little date night chatting and snacking and watching a movie he was asleep as soon as the children were!  What was I supposed to do?!  Eventually we all settled into our new normal and had a fantastic summer. We started the summer with a few goals and a mini bucket list!

Goals

running two miles and improving our speed every morning
getting the two oldest boys work outside of the home
have a picnic and outside adventure once a week for the whole day

Bucket list
Find a ghost town
Water gun fight
Swimming
Orchard picking
lemonade stand
Ride the public bus
4th of July party
Go camping
S'mores
Build a tree fort
Go fishing
Water balloon fight

We didn't do all of these things but we actually crossed a lot more off of our list than I thought we would.  We actually slowed down quite a bit and just enjoyed each other and the beautiful summer weather.

Join me on a mini vacay to Idaho in the spring/summer!


Cherry picking, Blackberry picking and a bit left over for a pie!


Garden soil being delivered and a little bit of loot!

One of two VERY successful Lemonade stands!






Five or six different parks we visited, picnicked at and swam at!
Attempted ghost town quest.


Several two mile running spots- the last one is at the track!
My champion bug collector!
Boise Aquarium

Palouse Falls

Lizzie's first tea party!

Only a tiny bit of our adventures!  And guess what? The kids all agreed they were happier without Internet this summer!  I think it's a new family "tradition"!







Comments

Popular Posts