Older Wiser Woman

Are you preparing to become an older wiser woman? If you are a Christian woman, this should be your heart's desire.  If it isn't, I pray that it will be.  One of the biggest blessings to the church of God is the older and wiser woman.  After all a woman's work is never done and neither is a Christian's.


Titus 2:3-5 English Standard Version (ESV)

Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.


The Bible tells us from this list that woman tend towards being loud, irreverent, and even drunkards.  The Bible also reminds us that we can be tempted to want to work away from the home not serving our children or husbands. God is so kind to us to give us older wiser woman to follow after.  



As a young woman still, and only beginning to learn wisdom, I am greatly encouraged by older and MUCH wiser women.  What does an older and wiser woman look like and where can I find one?  If you are a young mom, new to the faith or struggling with your marriage and being a homemaker, you may have asked this question!  Here are some ideas!

  • Ask a friend!  I have been richly blessed by recommendations!  I remember being really upset about a particular sin, really upset.  It seemed that no matter what I did I kept slipping into the same sin over and over.  I mentioned this to a friend who encouraged me to talk to her mother,  An older and much wiser woman who also had the same besetting sin as a young mom.  Sure enough if you really want help ASKING for help works! By the way, the advice her mother gave me was gold.
  • If you are new to a church start to get to know older woman, grandmas and widows.  Invite one of these ladies over for tea or coffee, and don't be proud!  They know what it's like to have a messy house, limited groceries, kids with colds etc.
  •  Look for women who seem to have something you are missing, and ask them out for coffee. Is there an older woman who always has something good to say about her husband? Find out her secret. When I hear of an older woman with more boys than I have, all raised and serving Christ faithfully, I hunt her down.  When I find a woman who seems to have generational blessings, as in faithful grandchildren, I ask her how she did it.  I don't want to become these women but I want to become more like the God we both serve.
  • Pray for an older woman to come alongside you.  I can think of four or five times I was desperate for advice and wisdom from someone who was wiser and God sent me an older woman each time.  He is faithful.  His word is faithful.  If he asks us to do something, he will help us do it!!!
  • If you are turned down by an older woman, dust off your flip flops and move on!  


Comments

  1. So true. I’m pretty sure my marriage was saved because of an older, wiser woman’s advice and counsel to me as a young mom. So grateful for women willing to spend the time with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! This is so true! Willing to speak truth in love! I hope to be able to give this gift that I have received! -Liz

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts