Deep freezer love!

There are few things I love more than my deep freezer! I didn't need or want one for many years, then came baby four...or five! Oh.my. Costco membership and deep freezer were in full swing. There is SO much to say about freezing food that I'm sure this is one post of many. Here are some reasons I couldn't live without mine and a list of my favorite things to freeze!

  • I can buy a pig or half cow.
  • I can purchase food based on sale price, an example would be thanksgiving. Turkeys go on SUPER sale in November so I can stock up on a whole flock!
  • On months where our grocery budget is thin, we can eat out of our deep freezer
  • I can double recipes and freeze the second meal. When I have a friend in need of a meal I can run it over.
  • It costs pennies a month to run, if it's full.
  • I can keep meat bones to use for broth. If I only had the tiny freezer on top of my fridge there is no way I would be saving bones. This way I can set the bones aside and pull them out on a meal prep day and make lots of yummy broth!
  • We love to go fruit picking! There is no way I could can 7,000 jars of plumb sauce or apple sauce. When we go cherry picking or apple picking the children can pick to their heart's desire! After making the apple sauce I just let it cool and bag it up. No. More. Steps.

Favorite foods to freeze?
  • Bread
  • PB&J sandwiches, I make two entire loves or more and freeze them. They thaw very quickly and the texture doesn't change at all.
  • Already cooked shepherd's pie, enchiladas and lasagna. 
  • Sabbath meal treats... I actually hide them this way.
  • Spaghetti sauce. 
  • Broth.
  • Sausage patties made ahead for breakfast.
  • Meatballs (although I've found they are cheaper at Costco than homemade).
  • Pancakes. 
  • French toast.
*Hot tip* freeze liquids in large Ziploc bags, laid flat. This saves space and also makes it easier to find what you're looking for! 
This blog has some great tips!

Comments

Popular Posts