Super fast, cheap and easy breakfast ideas- Oatmeal







I love to make baked oatmeal!  Oftentimes I make it ahead of time for church or when my children are just really tired of regular old oatmeal!  Here is an adapted recipe from 
Cookie + Kate! FYI, I usually double this!


  • 2 cups
old-fashioned oats

  • 2 teaspoons 
        cinnamon

  • 1 teaspoon
baking powder

  • ¾ teaspoon
 sea salt (or 1/2 teaspoon regular table salt)

  • ¼ teaspoon
 nutmeg

  • 1 ¾ cups
milk of choice (almond milk, coconut milk or cow's milk all work)

  • ⅓ cup
honey (or maple syrup)

  • 2
large eggs

  • 3 tablespoons
melted butter, divided

  • 2 teaspoons
vanilla extract

  • 12 ounces
blueberries (or 1 pint fresh or frozen, or 2 1/2 cups of your preferred berry/fruit, chopped into 1/2" pieces if necessary, divided)

  • 2 teaspoons
raw sugar (optional)

  • add
vanilla yogurt (optional toppings for serving: plain/or whipped cream, additional maple syrup or honey for drizzling, and/or additional fresh fruit)

Directions

  • Pre-heat your over to 375
  • Mix all of your yummy ingredients together except for the berries.
  • Pour the berries into a 9x9 baking dish, or larger if you have doubled the recipe, then pour all of your mixed ingredients on top.  Cover with tin foil and bake for 45 min. 
You can bake this ahead and refrigerate! Sometimes I mix it all up the night before and then bake it in the morning, that is yummy too!

*I like to use pumpkin pie spice instead of separate spices!  But I LOVE pumpkin pie spice and will use any excuse to add it in!

* I usually pull the foil off for the last ten minutes or so of baking time so the top is crispy!  

*Also take note that if you double your recipe it may take up to 90 min. to bake.




Oatmeal! Get your oatmeal!!

Oatmeal is really cheap, yummy and filling.  I think often times we need a little protein to go along with it, but it's pretty much a perfect grain!  

Did you know that you can cook oatmeal in a rice cooker?  True story!  Add two cups of oats and four cups of water, set it, and forget it!  I know there are many ways to use your Instant Pot as well. I have yet to master oats in my Instant Pot.  

When we are on an oatmeal kick for breakfast I try to switch up the add-ins.  I keep these ingredients handy:


  • Raisins
  • Butter
  • Maple Syrup
  • Honey
  • Pumpkin Pie Spice
  • Frozen berries, Costco
  • Crasins
  • Walnuts

When we're tired of baked oatmeal and regular oatmeal I switch up to these SUPER easy gluten-free banana pancakes.  Our super awesome Colorado bestie made these for us a few years back and we are hooked!  Just like the baked oatmeal, you can add in fun things!  Sometimes I add protein powder into these or serve them with P.B. or almond butter!  I also quadruple this recipe, ten times!

In a blender add:

  • 2 bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats
  • 1/2 tea baking powder



You can add cinnamon, a dash of salt, whatever floats your boat!  My kids can even make these on their own.  

Pour these oatcakes on a hot griddle and serve with maple syrup!  We usually just add butter because they are really sweet from the bananas!  And again, you can make a bunch of this mix up ahead of time and just pour them out in the morning, OR you can make a bunch of pancakes up on Saturday if you meal prep, and heat them up really quick before church Sunday morning!  

Comments

Popular Posts