Discovering the PNW with kids-Phillips farm, Laird Park and Ghost towns...

Have you ever visited Phillips Farm, just north of Moscow? If not, you're missing out on an awesome place to run around, picnic, sled, snowshoe or ski, and bird watch. This place is amazing! It's a good-sized county park with an old orchard, picnic shelter, hiking trails, and a year-round creek. A mini-getaway just north of Moscow and it is rarely crowded! I will give you the tick warning though😂! On a positive note, there are two ponds AND restrooms.  If you'd like more information check this link out or this one.

Bonus? If you have a dog that loves to run around and get his wiggles out, this is the place for him!


FROM THEIR WEBSITEFor over a decade, volunteers have helped build and maintain many parts of Virgil Phillips Farm County Park. Longtime friends of the farm have created a nonprofit to better organize these efforts and related fund-raising. This website showcases some past volunteer efforts, coming events, and what's on the horizon for "friends" to do at Phillips Farm.  Join us! Phillips Farm hosts nature camps and cider pressing!!  Check them out!





Next?  Keep going north towards Potlatch! I am headed to Laird Park.  There is no fee for day use but there are camping spots, which are awesome, and the last time I checked they were $12 a day.  They are worth far more!  I am biased.  I bring my kids here at least once a week during the summer.... shade is scarce so bring an umbrella or lots of sunscreen for little ones.  There is a bridge to jump off of, trails to follow, and little sandy beach, and also a stream to float!  Our kids have floated Laird park and loved it!  There are outhouses, that are better at the beginning of the season, and also a playground.  There are fire rings and picnic tables...It is basically perfect!  One of my favorite places.  Last year they had to fell a lot of trees and once you get your wood permit (approx. $20) you can gather wood for the winter.  We did!  Here are directions, and here are pictures! OH I almost forgot, bring sand toys!!


 

I am an American history lover.  "I don't know much about history," but that never stops me from exploring and learning more!  I could listen to and learn about U.S. history day and night.  I don't have that type of time right now, but I'm excited to at some point!  Being a history lover, a lot of my stops in the PNW are both outdoorsy and historical, like our next spot.

We visited this ghost town west of Moscow, Idaho in Whitman County, WA a few years ago.  We live on the Washington state border and so we get the best and worst of both worlds!  We packed up our kids and lunch and headed to check out Elberton.  It was beautiful, different, on the water, and fun to explore.  I suggest everyone take a day trip just to check it out, maybe eat lunch on the old bridge! Here are the directions and here is one of my favorite ghost town websites! The pictures below come from the last linked website!



There is a cemetery that I have yet to check out, but I plan on doing that this summer!  I love cemeteries!  Check out some of the other cool spots on this site, Ghost Towns of Washington.  


Comments

Popular Posts