My Healing Garden




I have long wanted to grow a healing garden.  I am not an herbalist, I don't even know a lot about herbs or natural healing, though a lot of folks assume I do because I am a doula.  Yes, I know about birthing herbs, herbs for nursing etc.  What about everyday plants?  I have a child that struggles with croup every single year, what plant would help him?  I have sore achy muscles a lot of the time because of  Chronic Fatigue, what plants are good for achy muscles?  I am ready to check out this post by the Backyard Garden Lover.  She has a huge list of healing plants that are easy to grow in your backyard garden.  I'll list the ones I am considering down below.

This entire endeavor is going to be quite interesting as I have a black thumb.  I either over water plants to death or I under water them to death.  I also want to start some plants from seed so I can pinch a few pennies, but to be honest, I'm not sure it's worth it. I'll have to ask around!  The other thing I am considering is our short growing season here in Idaho.  I need to get on it if I'm going to start seeds and I also need to see if what I'm planting can handle the.....moody North Idaho weather.  One year we had snow at least once ten out of twelve months....not kidding.  Ok, here is my list!


Considering the many uses of Aloe Vera, I think it's going to make my list.  It's good for cuts, scrapes, burns, and eczema.  With seven children and two toddler/preschoolers I think this is a no brainer.

Calendula is my next plant plan!  It seems "easy" to grow and it's beautiful!  Calendula is known for healing bruises, lowering inflammation and easing menstrual cramps.  I think the anti-inflammatory properties alone would make this plant worthy for my garden.
Calendula

Ginger Root to slice up for teas and smoothies and juices would be next on my list.  I read that ginger is easy to grow and grow in abundance.  You can grow ginger both inside AND out.  Ginger is a taste that has grown on me.  It took years.  Ginger has been known to aid digestion, help with nausea and when added with lemon water or lemon tea can be cleansing. 


person holding white bowl with sliced lime and ginger inside

Turmeric, though bitter to the taste, is used to prevent heart illness, inflammation, Alzheimer's and is jam-packed with antioxidants.  This article was amazing and cited several medical studies completed on the use of turmeric.  I'm guessing fresh organic turmeric from my yard would have wonderful health benefits!  Maybe I'll even force myself to drink golden milk!


clear drinking glass full of orange liquid


I plan on planting normal stuff too like rosemary, which has amazing health benefits but is just delicious in my spinach pesto or homemade tomato sauce, and garlic and maybe onions.  I tend to do better with roots..... less kill-able?

I plan to post recipes for salves and tinctures that I plan to try this summer with these plants, if you have suggestions, let me know!

What will your garden look like this spring/summer?

***For the record and the powers that be, I am not a certified herbalist or doctor.  I don't want anyone to read this post and substitute my summer garden for actual medical advice if you have a chronic undiagnosed health condition.  That being said, I listed the health benefits that most folks would agree with under each plant.  There are, of course, outlandish claims as well which I'm not adding in my post!!!!***

Comments

Popular Posts