Yummy and easy dairy free recipes!


I love dairy.  I could give up meat, I think, before giving up dairy.  Mostly, I love cream and coffee!  I need thick yummy cream every morning.  So this summer I was having this weird issue with hives!  I had no idea where they were coming from but they were getting worse and worse.  I realized one afternoon that I was seeing a connection between my hives and dairy products so I decided to cut it out, hoping it would help....that's how bad the hives were!  I went cold turkey-ish for about three weeks, my hives cleared up and I was able to start eating dairy all over again.  No clue if it was really the dairy causing my crazy itchies but I did do a little looking around for dairy-free foods and recipes.

Flashback!  We have a dear son who is sensitive to everything, or so it seems.  He was also having some rashes, circles under his eyes and a million other strange things going on.  We looked into the Feingold diet and decided to start there.  Again, we did a lot of dairy, gluten, and soy free cooking for many years for that kiddo, and I would love to share some simple, non-weird ingredient recipes with you in the hopes that they will bless your dairy-free friends and family members!


Image result for eggs public domain

Dairy-free Breakfast Ideas:

eggs and veggies
oatmeal with fruit and coconut oil
 Apple cinnamon muffins
 Blueberry muffins
 Pancakes, your favorite recipe but using almond milk instead!






Image result for peanut butter cookies public domain

Snacks and Treats
easy PB cookies
Raspberry Chia Pudding 
Granola Bars


Image result for salami

Lunch Ideas
We love meat, nuts and dried fruit for lunch
Jasmine rice with fresh cilantro, lime juice, and salsa
Refried beans and tortilla chips
Cobb Salad, minus the cheese
This dairy-free ranch dressing made with an immersion blender looks amazing.... I want to try it!

Image result for public domain cobb salad

Substitutes-

My favorite substitutes are almond milk and coconut milk, the full-fat kind.  If you are looking for lower fat and sugar, almond milk would be the go-to.  I also use coconut milk to whip and make whipped cream.  You could have a huge bowl of frozen fruit, or fruit and oatmeal and add whipped coconut milk for whipped cream on top.  Halo ice cream also has a dairy-free option, which is amazing in my opinion.

Instead of butter I really like coconut oil.  If you don't care for the coconut taste, though I find it mild, I just saw Crisco coconut oil that was flavorless! Not sure how they do this...weird science.
I fry with it occasionally, not high heat, and use it in baked goods!  My kids like the taste and we add it to oatmeal sometimes too.

I haven't tried the dairy-free yogurts, that is a little weird for me, and I know that some of the dairy-free cheese tastes pretty good, a lot of it is loaded with soy or casein which can cause other issues!  I'm sure there are more in the making as I write this, so check with your local health food store and read packages.  Maybe there will be a miracle dairy-free cheese one day

I had a lot of loving friends give me suggestions for cream replacements, cream for my morning coffee, and to be honest, none of them were quite good enough... So crowd surf!  Ask friends what they love and hate and if you have super duper, awesome friends, they might let you try some of their alternatives out or sample them before you buy your own!

Comments

Popular Posts